Skip to main content

Audiosense AQ7 Insight - One step further toward neutrality

 

PROS:

  • Stupendous instruments and vocals placement

  • Bright-neutral sound signature (subjective)

  • Brilliant speed and transients

  • Clarity, transparency, and detail retrieval

  • Precision

  • Sound stage and imaging

  • Very easy to drive that even mobile phones can give justice

CONS:

  • Huge shells might not be for everyone

  • BA timbre

  • Might be too dry for the casual listener (subjective)

  • Less organic and natural sound presentation (nitpick)


INTRODUCTION:


Audiosense is one of the companies I have high regard for at the same level as I adore Seeaudio, Tangzu, BQEYZ, and Kinera. I recently purchased one of their IEMs the DT300. I have not reviewed it yet and I don’t want to spoil what I intend to say on that gear. But what I can say is that Audiosense really knows how to tune and make exquisite gears. Their DT and AQ series received much love from the audio community a few months ago. 





And what I have for you today is a mid-range installment of roughly 500$ give or take, the AQ7 Insight. Will this set be worthy of its price tag? Let us get a move on and find out. 

DISCLAIMER:


My opinions here are completely my own. I am NOT in any way influenced by any form of incentive. This is purely my honest, subjective impressions and experience with the gear on hand. I cannot stress more that you should take this as a grain of salt for we have different perception to sound and what we hear. I always try my best to stick with the stock accessories that come with the gear by default. You are free to try other methods such as tip rolling or cable rolling. Below are worth noting before concluding on what I say here:


  1. DAP (digital audio player, be it phone, laptop, mobile, or stationary setup)

  2. DAC or dongle or any external amp

  3. Ear Tips

  4. Cables

  5. Source of audio file be it offline FLACS or streaming services like Deezer, Apple music, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and the likes..

  6. Your playlist. It matters and is worth to be considered when reading from a reviewer's perspective. It is apparent that you get to know your favorite reviewer and what they are listening to leisurely and critically

  7. Somewhere in this review, my impressions will be biased against my personal preference. Your mileage will most likely vary. 


My reviews are more on how music sounds in my ears. The technical stuff like frequency graphs and the physics behind the tech and drivers used, I leave to other reviewers. 


I would like to personally thank a friend Loo Law, for lending his personal unit for me to test and assess. Thank you for your trust! Having something this valuable in my hands is an honor and at the same time, makes me tremble in fear as something like this needs extra caring, or else… it could be the end of a friendship or a marriage. LOL 

SPECIFICATIONS:


Configuration: 1x Dynamic drive, 6x Balanced armature drivers

Impedance: 13ohms

Sensitivity: 110db

Freq response: 20hz - 22khz


PACKAGING:

I did not receive the full packaging for this review. But if you are familiar with Audiosense’s packaging, they are quite generous when it comes to inclusions. Especially on ear tips. What I received are: 





  1. a pair of AQ7 Insight IEMs

  2. a sturdy pelican case for storing the IEMs

  3. the stock cable


and that's it! For the entirety of this review, I used my personal ear tips, my favorite, the JVC Spiral Dots, M in size. I will lay down my setups later and I would like to remind whoever reads this to take it with a grain of salt. The differences in our setups are valid enough that what we hear, will most likely not be the same. 



Sound Impressions:


From the get-go, out of the box, the AQ7 has a very neutral sound signature. It is by far the most neutral set I have heard since Kinera Idun Golden which in many ways sounded very close and similar.  Comparisons will be later on. I have stated that I’m in pursuit of neutrality and this set just took that journey a step further. 





Tight, fast, and clean are the words if I’m going to describe the lows. Perhaps the cleanest and quickest execution by far in my experience. Sub bass is very quick to decay which makes this set a basshead’s nightmare. Lean is also one word to describe how lows are presented. Even leaner than my beloved Idun. Mid-bass is prominent and the focus of the lows. It gives a well-textured sound reproduction. Bass guitars are snappy and detailed. Drum kicks are well controlled and have a slam that is never overbearing and congested. Jazz tracks are well-rounded on the lows while rock tracks are punchy and beautifully thuddy. Modern tracks are still enjoyable as long as you keep a mindset that this is a neutral tuned IEM. Another one bites the Dust by Queen intro of bass guitar and drum kicks is proof enough to claim that the lows here are 98% flat in presentation. 


Vocals and instruments are also on the lean side of things. Not thin sounding but rather details is the name of the game. Again, neutrality is the focus here. Upper mids never felt piercing nor hot to listen to. Male and female vocals have good balance and both genders are favored equally. Guitars are very favored and the same goes for pianos and any instrument with a key bed. Orchestral instruments have a good and engaging character to it despite the mids having less density and weight. I cannot say that the mids are lush and rich in sound though. I think this is neutrality welcome party on my part. It is as faithful and accurate as the lows I described above without sacrificing engagement and emotion. The details on the elements of your music, be it any genre, will be the one mesmerizing you and giving you that engagement to your music. 





Here at the top, trebles, are quite on the thin side. But I guess that is a price to pay when we are talking about neutrality. Grit and bite of cymbals are well executed. Brass sections are very energetic and impactful. The transition of upper mids to the trebles is very impressive and entertaining to listen. I would like to set another track from Queen namely Bicycle Race. As the track unfolds, I never heard the dynamics and change in mood this accurate before. There are parts in the song that it will sound thin then boom! Elements will become more bodied which portrays the uneven and inconsistent recording of the track. It is not a bad thing, but recording a song is not made in a day. There are times that a change in venue studios is inevitable and those changes did not escape AQ7. Sibilance is nowhere to be found with AQ7 and even with my sibilance test tracks, the trebles maintained to be warm and never too hot to be piercing. Trebles never became a chore. 


Conclusively, this is neutrality at its finest! Playing around being enjoyable and flat is very hard to achieve. And AQ7 just nailed that! Imperfection in recordings is frequently encountered which makes music more realistic. As a musician, there is no perfect recording. AQ7 just reminded and made me realize that those imperfections and irregularities are what give soul to our music reminding me that recording by real musicians, is still the betterment over machine-made tracks that became a trend in this modern times. 




Fit & Isolation:

Fitting is one thing that will be average in this set. I hate to say this too soon, but everything I will say here is above decent. But fitting is not one of those. AQ7 is quite large in build. This might be no problem for big people from the west but for us Asians, this will not be for everyone. Isolation is also average and I find myself bringing up the volume just a bit than my normal listening level to isolate myself from outside noise. This is not a dealbreaker to me and everything is still manageable and highly acceptable.  


Technicalities:

Before we move on, AQ7 is already a very very capable neutral set paired with the best technicalities I’ve heard so far from an IEM! Oh let just get it on! 





Sound stage is very huge here. Ok ok.. we are talking about IEM here. There is no natural sound stage as we are putting the speakers as close to our brain. But the huge chamber and vent hole (with filter) of AQ7 gives that amazing headroom hence portraying a decent sense of stage in our heads. Elements from my tracks have that extra space and by no means, a very desirable treat that is commonly achieved only on earbuds and headphones. 


Imaging or instrument placement is as good as it gets! This is the most accurate positioning of instruments I’ve heard so far! I only wish to keep this intact in my memory so I could compare it to my future reviews. Instruments are very very easy to follow and individual space that is just too commendable! Separation and layering are stupendously brilliant and just pure awesomeness! As a musician, I just can’t help it to analyze elements in my music as it comes second nature. I can hear with excellent clarity all that is going on in my music, especially those well mastered tracks. 


Speed is one of the best I’ve heard by far! Busy and complex tracks never felt sluggish and muddy. Always keeping me on my toes and excited to hear AQ7 keeping up with all instruments and vocals. A track from Russian Circles namely Harper Lewis was executed very well without struggle. So do not fear brethren! If you have a lot of complex tracks on your playlist, just keep them coming! AQ7 will have your back.


Conclusively, AQ7 is by far the most effective implementation of technicalities I’ve tested. So effective that it rivals TOTL level. And yes, I have tested some TOTL IEMs a while back and though I don’t have them with me anymore, I can safely say by memory, that AQ7 is more than capable in terms of technicalities. 

COMPARISONS:

For this review, I have decided to compare AQ7 with my most neutral set in possession, the Kinera Idun Golden. And my oh my, I’m blown and was enlightened in many ways. As always, let us do this in bullet-style format. 


  • AQ7 is a step more neutral than Idun.

  • Both have very similar sound signature. 

  • AQ7 blows Idun out of the water in technicalities. 

  • Fitting and comfortability goes to Idun. 

  • AQ7 at times, is less natural and organic than Idun. 

  • AQ7 is easier to drive than Idun. 

  • AQ7 on rare occasions, has more of that BA timbre than Idun.

  • Idun is not yet truly neutral. AQ7 is almost there. (yet to be revealed when I get my hands on Etymotics)

  • Idun’s lows are just a tad shy more textured than AQ7. 

  • Speed performance of drivers are both almost the same.

  • Separation and imaging goes to AQ7.


And that’s about it! Both are very competitive. The only thing that separates them, is the price. Let move on to the verdict. 

 


SOURCES AND GEARS:


  • LG V30 hifi dac (high impedance mode)

  • Hiby Music player

  • UAPP app (USB Audio Player Pro)

  • Tidal Masters subscription

  • offline FLACS

  • Hidizs AP80 pro

  • Deezer Hifi subscription


Here are some tracks I usually listen to when reviewing: 


That’s the way of the World by EWF

Africa by TOTO

The Girl in the Other Room by Diana Kral

Balmorhea album All is wild, All is Silent

Sila by Sud

Smooth Escape by D’Sound

Never too Much by Luther Vandross

P.Y.T by Michael Jackson

Ain’t no Sunshine by Eva Cassidy

Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC

Another one bites the Dust by Queen

Good times bad times by Edie Brickell 

Alice in Wonderland by Bill Evans

Ain’t it Fun by Paramore

 Redefine by Incubus

Far Away by Nickelback

Lovesong by Adele

Lingus by Snarky Puppy

Harvest for the World by Vanessa Williams

Love Bites by Def Leppard

No Such Thing by John Mayer

As by Stevie Wonder

Whip Appeal by Babyface

Ain’t Nobody by Chaka Khan

Futures by Prep

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac

Every Summertime by NIKI

SADE tracks

AC/DC tracks

Queen tracks



And many more… I always listen to High resolution format, being the least quality 16bit/44khz FLACS be it offline or online. 




VERDICT:

Ok ok… before we proceed to the million-dollar question, below are those who I will recommend this for: 


  1. To those who loves flat response and neutrality. 

  2. To those who are willing to overlook tonality and focus more on technicalities.

  3. To the analytical and critical listener. 

  4. To musicians and vocalists alike. 

  5. For monitoring purposes. Studio or on stage. 

  6. Definitely not for bassheads. 

  7. For neutral heads, treble heads, and mid-centrics.

  8. Detail freaks like me. 


The AQ7 is really something. Being with me for a week, I must say that it fills almost all of my needs as a musician. If I must nitpick, I wish that it had just a hint more of being organic and natural. It is already good as it is and never had I encountered a track or passage of music that is synthetic or unrealistic. But It could have been more organic at some point. Now I’m being purely subjective here. If I have to specify how nitpick I am right now, that little thing I’m looking for is 2% out of 100. All bets placed, I think AQ7 has a spot earned to be a contender at the price bracket of 500$. 


Now is it worth the penny? If you want to get a feel of the sound of AQ7, the Kinera Idun Golden is a good cheaper alternative. But if you want the real thing, get the AQ7. Again is it worth its price tag? Well, I will leave that decision to your wallet. 


That’s a wrap and catch you on the next one!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done right and proper - Kefine Klanar review

  PROS: minimalist design (subjective) excellent bass response proper timbre controlled but not dull treble generous eartips decent cable lush and weighted midrange above average technical chops efficient and easy to drive price CONS: recessed midrange cramp protective case (nitpick) v-shaped tuning (nitpick, subjective, own preference) INTRODUCTION: Kefine, driven by their commitment to offer sophisticated audio equipment at a reasonable and pragmatic price point, coined their name from a fusion of the founder's name and the concept of refinement, resulting in the term "Kefine." On the other hand, the term "Klanar" cleverly integrates "planar" with the letter "K." The company places a premium on quality, treating their products with a level of care akin to parenting. They allocate every cent judiciously, striving to maximize quality while keeping costs in check. Their philosophy asserts that top-notch audio shouldn't come with an exorbit

Unique Melody Mest MKIII CF

  Simply the Mest PROS: Immaculate technical chops Balanced-neutral tuning Gorgeous shell design Robust and sturdy cable inclusion Unique ear tips on par with Azla ear tips Jacket for the IEMs for added protection Holographic sound reproduction Effective and efficient implementation of bone conduction unit Comfortable wear  Achievable fit with minimal fiddling Sound stage Imaging Separation CONS: Midrange can be thin at times (nitpick) Timbre can benefit from sounding a little bit more natural (nitpick) Price is not for everyone Non-modular cable INTRODUCTION: Unique Melody, commonly known as UM, is a distinguished brand under Zhuhai Acoustics Co., Ltd, based in Zhuhai, China. With a focus on creating distinctive and individualistic products, UM is dedicated to enhancing the listening experience for music enthusiasts and audiophiles alike. Since its establishment in 2006, UM has garnered a strong presence in the audio industry, accumulating a remarkable 17 years of experience. Notably,

Hiby R6 Pro II review

The bridge between a phone and a DAP   INTRODUCTION : Hiby, a company founded in 2011, has gained considerable respect in the audio community for their Digital Audio Players (DAPs). I happen to own one of their DAPs, the RS2 , which incorporates R2R technology. Surprisingly, I haven't shared my review of it yet, even though I've had it for a couple of months now. Besides their expertise in DAPs, Hiby is also expanding their product range to include In-Ear Monitors (IEMs), such as the Crystal 6 II and Zeta , which I will be reviewing. Noteworthy offerings from Hiby also include DAC/Amps like the FC6 , FC1 , FC3 , and FC4 , which you can explore further on their website . One aspect where Hiby shines is their music app, highly regarded within the audio community. The Hiby music app stands out as an impressive solution that bypasses Android's audio sample limitation, enabling the use of external DAC/AMP for bit-perfect and unaltered audio output. The best part? It's absol